In 2006 Datagroup company made a decision to change SDH/Frame Relay for MPLS/Metro-Ethernet Technology, which uses physical environment (optic fibre) more optimally, is more convenient in operating, more flexible, speedy, scalable. It allows shortening operational and capital expenditures in a case of its implementation and operation.
Gradually, the multi-service, broadband, MPLS-network was created in Ukrainian cities: Kyiv, Lutsk, Kharkiv, Odesa, Dnipro, Donetsk, Zaporizhzhia, Vinnytsia. Kryvyi Rih etc. The list is continuously growing.
The multi-service broadband MPLS-network is characterized by its safety, failure-tolerance, and also by high productivity and scalability, this technology is ready for the implementation of new services. The presence of broadened functionality of quality of servicing (QoS) allows providing a strict control according to the Service Level Agreement (SLA).
In 2008 the modernization of backbone DWDM-network was completely finished. Its length was 11,5 ooo km. Simultaneously, the upgrade of east ring network was completed, the capacity of backbone (intra-city) fibre-optic channels was enlarged from 3 Gbit up to 10 Gbit. The same year MPLS/Metro-Ethernet networks were broadened in cities, where the optic structure was created.
Motivations to start MPLS technology implementation are:
- permanently increasing demand for the services, which need broad bands for transmission;
- launch of national network on the basis of DWDM technology, which caused the increase of demand for these services in regions;
- because of inappropriate aggregation of traffic, the necessity in continuous growth of carrying capacity of SDH (from STM-1 to STM-64) network occurs, that leads to escalation of capital expenditure and the decline of profitability;
- serious competition with other operators, who have already started to implement these technologies;
- possibility to provide high quality services of different products ;
- necessity to enter the mass market to present additional services (Value added services) for both private and corporate clients.
Ethernet (E-Linе) virtual leased line
While describing this service, one can use such terms as VPWS (Virtual Private Wire Service), Point-to-Point Virtual Leased Line (PT2PT VLL), Ethernet Leased line (E-Line), ePIPE, Ethernet Wire Service (EWS). Virtual leased line is actually an analogue of leased line between 2 points with 2 Ethernet-interfaces. This service is very helpful when a client wants to change rented lines.
Virtual distributed commutator (E-LAN)
While describing this service, one can use such terms as E-LAN, H-VPLS (Hierarchical VPLS), VPLS (Virtual Private LAN Service), Ethernet Multipoint Service (EMS). Virtual distributed commutator will provide clients with a transport of the second level. From a user’s viewpoint it looks like he was provided with different ports of one Ethernet-commutator in different cities in local network, and all remote dots are in one flat LAN-segment. But this service operates on the basis of MPLS-network which allows to create a topology of almost any level of difficulty, providing broadened support of QoS and flexible management for different types of traffic.
- connection to mobile communication operators;
- communication between different subdivisions;
- access to different banking services providers;
- connection with processing centres (UkrKart, PUMB, UPTs, Privatbank, Ukreksimbank);
- S. W. I. F. T. (applying ProFIX Swift Service Bureau or Equant);
- access to the CCH of the National Bank of Ukraine;
- Reuters (together with Xtra and Xtra+ products)
High-Speed Access to Different Networks
These services are basic. This base allows creating a data transmission network for any corporate client. In addition to the creation of such network, clients can receive the high-speed access (currently up to 1 Gbit/sec) to services which are often necessary for the majority of corporate clients.